For the mushrooms
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, golden syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large flat mushrooms, wiped and stalk removed
- 4 soft white buns, split open, and shredded crisp lettuce, to serve
For the carrot and cabbage slaw
- 100g (3 1/2oz) red cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100ml (1/2 pint) plain soya yogurt
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 small lemon, juiced
*available from Hampshire Farmers Markets
- Mix together the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup, paprika and olive oil. Generously brush the mixture over the mushrooms, put them in a roasting tray and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Roast the mushrooms for 25 minutes or until tender. If cooking on a barbecue, place the mushrooms onto the barbecue on a medium/high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes; turning every 30-40 seconds, or until they are cooked through.
- Spoon any remaining marinade into a pan, stir in 1 tbsp water ready to heat just before serving.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw. Mix together the cabbage, carrots, spring onions, yogurt, mustard and lemon juice, then season to taste.
- Spoon some shredded lettuce on the bottom half of each bun, top with a mushroom, then spoon over a little of the barbecue sauce. Add some of the slaw or serve it by the side.
Read more at https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/smoky-bbq-mushroom-buns.html#cXl2qeJxdR42SS3L.99