- 6-10 beetroots (depending on size)
- 140g puy lentils, cooked
- bunch spring onions (about 8), sliced on an angle
- 1 eating apple, core removed, thinly sliced (squeeze a little lemon juice over to prevent them turning brown)
- 1 small radicchio, leaves separated and torn into bitesized chunks
- Approx 250g smoked mackerel, skin and any bones removed, flaked into chunky pieces
For the horseradish dressing
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 150ml pot soured cream
- 2 tbsp creamed horseradish
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Place the unpeeled beetroots on a baking tray and roast for 35-50 mins, depending on their size. Give them a gentle squeeze after 35 mins – if they feel tender and are a little shrivelled, they are done; if not, continue cooking.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Using a small sharp knife, carefully peel the beetroots, then cut into wedges (wear plastic gloves to prevent them staining your hands).
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Put the lentils, spring onions, apple, radicchio and mackerel in a large bowl, add half the dressing and toss everything together.
- Pile the ingredients onto a serving platter, layering with the beetroots as you do.
- Serve with the remaining dressing on the side.