*1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
*1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
* b1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
*2-3 leftover cooked sausages cut into small chunks
400g leftover boiled rice
400g can chopped tomatoes
A pinch of mixed, dried herbs
*Grated cheese (Old Winchester, Lyburn Cheese)
Basil leaves (optional)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and carrot and cook until just soft. Add the sausages and rice and stir for a minute or so to drive off any excess moisture.
- Tip in a can of chopped tomatoes, add some tomato puree and the dried herbs. Stir together.
- Bring to the boil and simmer and stir for about 5 minutes add a little water if needed to thin.
- Serve with grated cheese and sprinkle with basil leaves
*available from Hampshire Farmers’ Markets
Recipe Author for Love Food Hate Waste
Alison Jones, Aylesbury