4 x 8 oz (225 g) partridges
1 lb (450 g) red cabbage, shredded finely (weight after discarding core and outer leaves)
1 clove garlic, crushed
6 juniper berries, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 x 130 g pack cubetti pancetta
2 medium onions, finely sliced
2 level tablespoons light soft brown sugar
10 fl oz (275 ml) red wine
salt and freshly milled black pepper
To serve: cranberry jelly
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350F (180C)
- First of all, heat the olive oil in the casserole over a fairly high heat. Season the partridges then brown them all over in the hot fat before removing them to a plate.
- Next, brown the pancetta, which will take 4-5 minutes, then remove that to the plate. Now soften the onions for 5 minutes until golden then add the garlic and juniper berries.
- Cook these for a further minute before adding the cabbage: stir and cook this for about 15 minutes.
- After that, add the sugar, red wine, browned pancetta and a seasoning of salt and pepper, then give everything a good stir. Now sit the partridges on their backs on top of the cabbage and bring to simmering point.
- Cover the casserole, place it in the oven and pot roast for 40 minutes.
- Then remove the lid and let everything cook for another 10 minutes or so to crisp up the skin of the birds.
- Serve one partridge per person on a bed of red cabbage, with some cranberry jelly
Recipe Delia Smith