- 2 stick unsalted butter
- 2½ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. light-brown sugar
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 c. grated pumpkin (use a small-holed grater)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ c. Buttermilk
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
*available from Hampshire Farmers’ Markets
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans or two 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a large bowl. Add grated pumpkin and toss.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl and stir into dry ingredients.
- Transfer to prepared pans and bake on middle shelf of oven until a wooden skewer inserted into center of bread tests clean, about 35 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack. Run a knife around edges to release bread from pans.
Recipe from Country Life.